[pct-l] trail finding

The PCT is fairly well marked, but you still need to carry maps, especially in certain areas.  Fortunately, all the maps you need are in the three guidebooks.  The PCT markings vary in quantity from area to area, but I was only lost, or to use Yogi's term, misplaced, three or four times, outside of the Sierran snow (which I don't really count as being lost as the trail for miles was buried).  Usually I'd misplace myself somewhere near a town where many "use" trails existed and it wasn't clear which one was the PCT.  Following any one of them, however, got me into town.  There was a logging road in WA with no markings that soaked up about 30 minutes of my day.

So, yes, you can hike with the three guidebooks, though I'd toss in a copy of the data book as well as it is super convenient.

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett