[pct-l] SOBO

Junaid asked:
I know lots of folks flipped this year and did big pieces of the trail SOBO
because of the weather.
During a normal year though, what is the motivation to go SOBO instead of
the 'standard' NOBO?

------junaid #41PCT2006

***************
There aren?t usually a lot of southbounders, and it seems that few of the
ones that start south  finish as a thruhike. (They may go back later.)  We
only met four thruhiking southbounders, who all started on June 15, plus a
wannabe yoyo hiker, heading south, and I don't think any of them finished. I
think the let down of  700 miles of desert after the Sierras gets to them.
I think most start a SOBO hike because of timing issues ? e.g. they can?t
start until school gets out or a job releases them, sometime in late May or
early June.  That is really late for starting a northbound hike, and the
total solitude, lack of water and extreme desert heat would make a start at
Campo in mid-June a fairly miserable experience.   Some late starters just
start farther north (i.e. Walker Pass or Kennedy Meadows) but that still
leaves the anti-climax of returning to the desert stretch after reaching
Manning Park.  I don?t know how many go back and do that.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/