From: <Hiker97@aol.com>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Cc: <laura629@hotmail.com>; <s7495f@lvmpd.com>; <Rattlesnake5648@Yahoo.com>;
<carolwbruno@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 7:01 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Super Secrets of Backpacking

REFLECTIVE TAPE: I have been recommending reflective tape (orange color -
WalMart auto section) for safety and convenience on your gear.  PCT hikers
have
been killed roadwalking and may be more visibility would have helped.
Also,
finding your gear at night is a lot easier with a little reflective tape  on
it.  In some applications (nylon straps, high use areas, etc.) it is  better
to put a protective layer over the sometimes brittle tape.  I am now  using
Duck brand High Performance Crystal Clear tape for this purpose.  Any  large
hardware store should have a small roll.  The added weight of  reflective
tape to
your gear is in the grams or may be 1/16 of an  ounce.

MARKING YOUR WEIGHTS: Take a felt tip marker and put the weight of your
gear
on it.  This is very convenient when you are out on the trail and
evaluating
your gear, which everyone does.  Or someone asks you about a  particular
piece of gear and you can also give them the weight.  Of course,  you will
probable need a small electronic scale to weigh things to within 1/4  ounce.
Fry's
electronic stores or an office equipment store probably have  these
inexpensive
scales.  They usually will weigh up to 5 pounds.   Other larger scales are
available too.

Your hiking buddy, Switchback
Ursus Horribilis Hiker & Camp Food  Opportunist