[pct-l] Rodent Proof Container

> I was thinking of using a 6 ounce Ursack for non bear food protection
> hiking.

Strange to say, I've had excellent luck (more than 20 years' worth)
in keeping rodents out of my food supply by putting my food
in my pack and putting my entire pack inside a regular grade
30 gallon trash bag, then tying off the top with a rubber band.
Then I just lean the pack against a tree a decent distance away
from my tent.

I do not know why this works so well. Obviously, rodents are
perfectly happy to chew through plastic bags in general and
2 or 3 mils isn't going to present them with any physical obstacle
they can't easily overcome. But  for some reason or other, they
rarely even attempt to chew the trash bag and have never gotten
as far as eating my food. I consider this a miracle, but it works.

I suspect it has something to do with:

- containing the food smells pretty well,
- making the whole pack surface slick and smooth, and
- disguising the pack as a dark, shapeless lump.

Of course, this strategy would be worthless against a bear
who has found your pack. Since I hike in the PNW and our
bears are still pretty wary of people, I haven't had to worry
about them much.