[pct-l] Hiker Stool & Rain Gear

JD wrote: "On another group (hopefully this hasn't been asked yet), a
question went out about using 2-collapsible poles as 2 of the three legs for a  camp
stool with a pre-sown piece of durable fabric as the seat and ?????  for the
3rd leg."

Well, actually I do not have any suggestions.  I use my BearVault Solo
canister for sitting with a sleeping pad if needed.  I am going to test out  the
LuxuryLite frame pack when I get back to Las Vegas and it is supposed to
convert to an excellent chair set up.  I will see if this is true  Sunday.

Also, I have used Frogg Toggs for years without any big problems.  But  I am
thinking of changing to the lighter Gossamer Gear Micropore Rainsuit.   I
would have a seamstress make the sleeves and cuffs the right lengths.  No  big
deal.

I drove up to Onyx Summit Tuesday to check things out.  I did not  actually
see a PCT trail sign, but did not have a detailed map with me.  I  also went
over to the road crossing just east of Big Bear.  That was nicely  marked with
PCT signs, but of course the trail actually crosses the road  there.

One thing is becoming clear to me.  There is a PCT "shoulder  season".  The
hiking weather Tuesday was great.  Lots of trail just  waiting for hikers to
have adventures.  Depending on snow, there seems to  be prime hiking in October
and November.  May be even into December.   The streams are not be running as
in the spring, but your dehydration has to be  a lot less to due to the cool
weather.  What great weather.  Of  course, you have to have the gear for those
sudden fall-winter storms.  You  look around and say, "It does not get any
better than this."

Your hiking buddy, Switchback
Trail Pirate & Trail Town Pillager/Sacker