[pct-l] Frogg Toggs

I used a Frogg Toggs pullover on my thruhike in 2003 and liked it then.  Breathability is very good, except down near the cuffs where the elastic cinches closed.  The fit is truly awful, with sleeves far too long, too much material, and a hood that is close to worthless.  It is cheap and light, however, and remarkably warm given its breathability.  I would not recommend the pants, but others have had success with them.  It does a reasonable job keeping water out as well.

If you can spend more money, I've been using the Integral Designs eVENT jacket since June and have found it to be, well, perfect.  You'll have to plunk down like $200 (I got mine on sale for about $175), but it is super light, super breathable, and as watertight as XCR.  The fit is very good, it has a (mostly) functional hood, and weighs about the same as the Frogg Toggs.  I think it is more breathable as well.  I wrote a review of it on http://whiteblaze.net.  Do a search for "Integral Designs eVENT Jacket" on the site and you should find it.

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett