[pct-l] Superer Secrets - Hiking Poles

I use the straps when I'm on the high and scary stuff because I'm afraid I'll get clumsy and kick the pole off the mountain.
Capt Bivy

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 08:47:46 -0700
From: "Monty Tam" <metam01@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Superer Secrets - Hiking Poles
To: "Hiker97@aol.com" <Hiker97@aol.com>,??????? pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Cc: Rattlesnake5648@Yahoo.com, carolwbruno@yahoo.com

Hey Switchback

Thanks for your posts.? I hear you're time to the Kick Off with a tips and
tricks and weigh the gear table.? Looking forward to that one.

I've never seen proper use of trekking poles listed before.? I'm a little
dissapointed in myself to find out I've been using mine the wrong way? :).

I use the REI UL made by Komperdell (11.2 oz per pair before adjustment)
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=400000
08000&productId=47873584&parent_category_rn=4500699.? Near Snoqualomine
this year I noticed Billy Goat used the same poles without the REI name on
them and minor variations.? He had REMOVED the straps.
"Only in the way" he said.? Wow.? They are!? A few thousand miles with mine
"in the way,"? I shipped them home.? Under 11 ozs now with the snow baskets
on! (they're not just for snow).? The best part?? There's plenty of places
where I carry my poles for a short time.? Times when the tips don't belong
on the ground.? When I use them again, I toss them up and grab the hand
grips.? With the straps on, I'm guarenteed the weight distribution with the
straps on will throw the handles 90 to 180 degrees from their proper grip
position.? Then I have to alkwardly readjust.? Without the
straps........................ easy flip with a slight readjustment.?
Also, straps on, or hanging to the side, in the dessert, the constant rub
20-25 miles a day, I had dried worn hands with deep cracks.? The strap
contact and rubbing were part of the cause and a big part of the irritation
and non-healing afterward. Duct tape helped.

I've also had a recurring problem with trekking poles that, with a lot of
use, no longer locked in place.? I was on a constant exchange program with
REI, because their experts had no solution.? The day before I ran into
Billy Goat in Washington, I watched Triple Crowner Ronnie from Israel show
another hiker how to readjust the screw mechanisms and solve the problem.
Amazing what these Triple crowners can teach that the experts don't know.

I'm not saying "Don't use straps."? They have pluses too.? I'm saying "I
don't carry straps."
"There is no right nor wrong, just thinking that makes it so."? -William
Shakespeare
"Some people like chocolate, some vanilla."? -Thomas Dunkley