[pct-l] headlamp

I have a Petzel - upgraded to the 3 LED plug in module
with lithium batteries with about 3000 miles of hiking on it.
It has a duct-tape repair from a bear encounter (I threw
eveything I had when I ran out of rocks to chase a very very
agressive bear away (Lyell Canyon, YNP) and have
been very satisified with it...batteries lasted almost 3 weeks
one time with nightly reading and trail time.

Highly recommend it.

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 11:21:25 -0500, Joseph Niemiec wrote
> When I hiked the PCT last year many people many people had the
> Aurora.  I had a black diamond.  I tried out the Aurora and actually
> bough one too.  With over 2,000 miles of hiking, my hiking partner
> never had a problem..  and it stayed brighter than my black diamond
> longer (as teh battery wore down)
>
> The only problem I had with it is that the light kinda shoots down
> into your eyes a little bit- easily solved...
>
> Overall I really like the light.
>
> Mouse
>
> <BLOCKQUOTE style='PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT:
> #A0C6E5 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px'><font style='FONT-
> SIZE:11px;FONT-FAMILY:tahoma,sans-serif'><hr color=#A0C6E5 size=1>
> l@mailman.backcountry.net</i><br>CC:
> enough with my Aurora that I haven't purchased one of the even
> lighter, more versatile headlamps over the last 5 years...  I might
> try another brand (one of the Petzl styles) at some point if I feel
> the need to 'upgrade'...<br>&gt;The Aurora is even lighter if one
> uses Lithium batteries instead of Alkaline - plus Lithium batts last
> longer and give more candlepower in cold weather...<br>&gt;As for
> the Pulsar key chain light, it is already somewhat outdated, too -
> the Photon Freedom (Photon's fourth generation light) is what I
> always carry now (I only take the headlamp now when anticipating
> night hiking or it's a 'camping' trip or in the 'off-season' with
> short daylight hours)...  The weight of a Photon Freedom is only 1/4
> ounce - further weight savings!<br>&gt;There's many lights to choose
> from today...  But LED is definitely the way to go today no matter
> what brand you buy, whether for a headlamp or the small keychain
> style - you'll save weight and the batteries last much longer than
> the old conventional bulbs; and if you drop it, the LED bulbs don't
> fail/burn out/break!<br>&gt;<br>&gt;Happy
l<br></font></BLOCKQUOTE>