[pct-l] How to Measure Pack Base Weight?

I guess if you wanted to be congruent with Yogi's statement you could
say that baseweight= packweight + skin-out weight

Everybody's different.  I know we should hike our own hikes, but it
always bothers me when people count absurd things as skin-out weights.
I think it's a little absurd to count things in your pockets as not "in
your pack" as they are definitely "packed away" in a way.

I don't mean to come down harshly, but after doing it a million times (I
can only blame myself for this one after all ;) ) it gets frustrating
always having to move the numbers around in order to make a valid
comparison, in order to figure out what to call their baseweight or
their packweight.  Why is this even useful?  Because I like to read
about people's on-trail experiences (that are pushing the envelope more
than myself) and make a correlation to see whether or not I'm ready to
lose a few more ounces or if their sacrifices aren't ones I'm ready or
willing to make.

I think the pack weight discussions should be designed to maximize
comparisons (and experiences) and entertain the possibility of parting
(or trimming) with a few more non-essentials, not bragging rights.
Anyways, that's my rant.

As for what should be included in "packweight" here's what I consider to
be the most typical in the community:

Fuel- no
Fuel container- maybe (This is more subjective than the others, as it
might just be a one ounce bottle of alcohol.  Then do we start counting
all the packaging our food might be in including the bottle that holds
olive oil? This is the first step down a slippery slope.  I would say
count it if it's metal, perhaps?)
Water containers- yes
Food bag- yes
Clothing- yes
Bear cannister-
I tend to report two weights, one w/o ice-axe and cannister and one w/
both, as they're not really carried a huge percentage of the trail.  I
think most people tend to leave them out.  I justify the lack of
attention in this direction because there isn't a huge plethora of
choices in either department, thus they don't often come up as primary
weight-saving areas anyways.

The clothing often considered as "worn" is that which you would carry on
a nice comfortable sunny day.  Some things that often tend to be
considered "skin-out weight":
1.  shorts
2.  socks (whatever you typically wear whether 2 liners, or 1 thicker)
3.  shoes
4.  sun hat
5.  sunglasses
6.  watch
7.  torso layer/sun shirt
8.  gaiters (if you wear them)
9.  trekking poles
10. But, I'm sure I'm forgetting something completely valid

I know you'll get a million different replies, but I'm just passing on
what I perceive to be the most common methods.

Ben