[pct-l] Desperately need help for "Delicate Princess Foot Syndrome"

OK, I may as well chime in, too, having just gone the custom orthotic route.

Reading between the lines a bit, it sounds like your feet are similar to mine in
that we both have a high arch and narrow heel. I, too, can't lace the
shoes/boots too tightly because of the high instep which means my heel will
slide around if the shoes aren't a good fit. My podiatrist also pointed out that
my feet are extremely flexible and I have a wide forefoot. This combination of
high arch, narrow heel, etc etc, he says, makes my foot very difficult to fit a
shoe to (which I knew from experience) and difficult to control which means that
as I walk it's flexing and working very hard to keep me upright (and the shoe
isn't helping by supporting it in the correct places) which is why they're darn
tired at the end of the day. Sound familiar?

He built me some orthotics that cup the heel (keeping it in place and preventing
it from flattening out), and support the arch and the rear portion of the
metatarsals. These have made a world of difference in the way my feet feel at
the end of the day.

If I were in (ahem) your shoes, I'd get the feet under control first, then deal
with the blisters. Orthotics are an interface between your footwear and your
feet; you therefore have to select/make them together. Find a podiatrist who
deals with atheletes and who is at least willing to consider footwear other than
  stiff boots. Mine wanted me to get shoes that weren't so flexible he could tie
them in knots (he twists them longitudinally) and I can see the logic to that
(for my feet). We ended up trying New Balance 906s which are stiffer than
running shoes but still more like running shoes than boots and still fairly
cushy (which I need for other reasons). Not saying 906s are right for you, just
  indicating how the orthotics were made to work with the shoes.

Re the blisters, you don't say specifically, but I'm guessing because of your
foot problems you don't get to hike consistently--I've found that my calluses
don't really build up until I've done several months worth of weekend hikes (not
huge mileage, just getting out there and doing *something*). Also, I have found
as countless others have, that it's really hard to avoid blisters with boots or
other rigid footwear--especially if your foot, like mine, is flexing and moving
all around in the shoe. I ended up using Wrightsocks double layer socks when I
was using boots; with the NB 906s almost any sock seems to work fine. My guess
is that your foot is flexing/moving so much in the shoe that it's going to rub
somewhere; if you can get the flexing under control (with orthotics) maybe the
blisters will be easier to resolve (you don't say whether they always show up in
the same spots).

Finally, orthotics aren't a quick and easy solution--they require time to fit
and make, then a ton of fine tuning (unless you get lucky). But it's worth it in
the long run. Heck, it's almost worth a visit just to play with one of those
fancy models of the foot with all the bones and springs -- makes you wonder how
the heck a foot lasts longer than a week or two.
--Steve

P.S. try contact cement to hold the heel pads in place--just make sure you get
them positioned correctly before they contact the shoe because you will *not*
move them once they touch! You can get the stuff at places like Home Depot,
Lowes, etc.