[pct-l] 2006 Hike

Hey Bear - if you are stopping work in mid-July, how about hiking the
Colorado Trail or John Muir Trail soon after?  When you are thruhiking, you
are likely to see both covered, at least partly, in snow.  Both look very
very different in mid-summer.  Then if there is a problem in the year you
hike, you will have already hiked that part of the trail.  i.e. We hiked
thru Glacier and the San Juans in the two years prior to our CDT thruhike.
Glacier was closed by bear activity when we went through, and we got snow in
teh San Juans which encouraged us to take the Creede cut-off.  For us it
didn't matter since we had already hiked the best parts of the CDT there -
when both were green and covered with flowers.  We also had a pretty good
idea of what we were getting into before we started the CDT, in terms of
trail marking (or lack thereof), elevation, towns, etc.  It helped. You can
tailor the distance to your available time/weather.  i.e. hike the JMT and
the TYT if you want to stretch it farther than just 200 miles, or hike half
the Colorado Trail or CDT in Colorado.  Or you could go hike the Great
Divide Trail - though I think because it is so poorly marked/maintained,
that one might be better to do after the CDT.  But anywhere you go will be
good.
Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/