[pct-l] Scary trail sounds

This has been an interesting thread.  I had forgotten about my scariest trail sound until I read the digest today, someone said something about a machine gun and someone else about Barrel Springs, at it brought this rushing back...

After hoofing it through the blazing hot San Fillipe Hills in May of 1998, heavy load of water on my back (not as many caches back then!), I stopped near Barrel Springs to camp.  I was exhausted, and soon fell deeply asleep.  Next thing I know I'm sitting bolt upright, eyes about to bug out of my head trying to see in the darkness, groping for the light & my glasses, all because of a deafening sound outside.  The kind of sound that's so deep and so loud you can actually FEEL it.  In the few seconds it took for rational thought to kick in, I was sure the world was ending.

Turns out it was several military helicopters flying very low, directly overhead.  Those suckers are loud.

Ajax