From: Jim Keener
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 9:30 PM
To: pct-l
Subject: [pct-l] Scariest Sound

Greetings:

Slow night on the PCT-L and I'm watching a re-run of "My Cousin Vinnie" as
I'm working on a project. And there was this Screech Owl in the movie that
Vinnie tried to shoot - and missed. Anyway, it reminded me of a night I
spent at Hawk Camp in the Marin Headlands. At about eleven, an hour or so
after I got to sleep, an owl let go with the most horrible sound I've ever
heard. LOUD. About 15 feet away. It was on the ground and was making a
strange sound with its wings, as well. It took all the nerve I had to look
out the tent to see what was going on. That was the scariest sound I've
heard while sleeping on the ground. What's yours?

J J