[pct-l] PCT thru-walk (proposed for spring of 2007)

And here I was hoping for a question about Lesbians
driving Subarus who are being profiled for incorrect
use on their bear canisters. Sigh. :D )

>>what is the best time (traveling South to North) of
the >>year to start the trip?

NoBo, all depends on the snow pack. Generally speaking
you want to start late April to early May. Start much
earlier and you hit hight snows in the High Sierra;
much later and you get snowed on in the Cascades. A
good rule of thumb is to try to finish before Oct 1st.

Going  SoBo, Mid June (again, depends upon the
snowpack) is the time most people go. FWIW, this year
was the highest in a long time for snow in the Sierra.
Quite a few people went SoBo because of it.

>>what is realistic timeframe one should use to
>>complete the whole trip (miles per day..)?

4-5 months seems about  average for most people. Call
it 15-20 miles a day for most.

>>what are the must have equipment/gear to make the
>>trip?

A very simple, logical question...with no concrete
answer. :)

Do you want to pack light and more on the Spartan
side? Have more luxuries? Boots?  Trail runners?

The general rule of thumb is to pack as light and as
comfortably (and safely!) possible for *YOU*.  That
magic formula is based on experience, hiking style and
some other factors.

Some need their crazy creek chair. Others would no
sooner hike with full toothbrush!

I have a "quick and dirty" guide I use for a PCT
workshop I've given. May be a good place
to start:
http://www.magnanti.com/miscwritings/pct_ws.htm

Once you have digested that info, I strongly you get
Yogi's PCT Handbook:
http://www.pcthandbook.com

It will have much, much, much info about all things
PCT. Re-supply. Packs to take. Town info.
And more.

The nice thing about this book is that it has views
from many different hikers. From people who hike
traditionally, to light weight fanatics  to
Catholic looking guys living in Coloardo and are
lesbians at heart. :)

And, of course, always, always, ALWAYS ask questions.
Like any mailing list/online forum this list can get a
little astray and heat at times..but at heart we all
care about the trail and love to help people new to
this crazy, somewhat dysfunctional, but awesome tribe.

Mags

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com