[pct-l] Manufacturer BearVault comments

We want to point out an issue with our newer model BV250s and BV300s
which the user needs to be aware of. We use a manual mold for the
production of the lid and this can result in some lids being slightly
oversized due to cycle time variations. These oversize lids can cause
the lid to come down on top of the housing stop bump rather than sliding
inside the bump.  What this means is if you continue to tighten the lid,
the lid will not close correctly and in fact, the lid will bow out at
the housing bump if you continue to tighten the lid with the lid on top
of the housing stop bump. This results in a lid that is NOT correctly
closed; in fact it leaves a gap which a bear can use to pop the lid off
and a bulge in the outside of the lid at the location of the housing
bump. If the lid is correctly closed it should also be able to unscrew
slightly before hitting the housing stop bump; this is another way to
check that you have correctly closed the lid. Please do a visual check
of your BearVault to ensure you have closed it correctly. These oversize
lids are only 0.02" larger than nominal, so you cannot spot them
visually.  They work perfectly well if you close the lid correctly.

Incorrectly closing the lid has resulted in at least one incident of a
bear gaining access to these models. These incidents are reported to the
rangers, and the Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group keeps a tally of
these incidents.  If they feel the number of incidents is excessive they
can revoke the approval of that model of canister.

We point out that this can happen in an insert in every unit we sell.
The insert points out that this is easily remedied; if you see the lid
hit the top of the bump, simply press in with your finger on the lid and
it will move inside the housing stop bump.  You can then continue
tightening the lid until you hear that "snap" which tells you that the
lid is closed correctly. The lid will also be touching the housing so
there is no gap between the lid and the housing. If you have an oversize
lid and you ensure you close the lid correctly, you have a canister that
has withstood attacks by 800 pound Grizzly bears successfully.  If you
do not close the lid correctly you have a vulnerable canister that may
fail during a bear attack.

Please ensure you look at the lid and housing when you close these model
BearVaults so that you are sure it is correctly closed. We plan on
automating the lid manufacturing process this winter so that there are
no longer these size variations, but in order to do this we need your
help and awareness of the issue so that you correctly close the
BearVaults. We are partners with our customers, and we need you to
correctly close your BearVaults if they have an oversize lid or else you
all may lose the option of buying a larger, lighter, easier to use bear
canister.

If you have a friend who uses a BearVault, please pass this on. If you
would like a copy of the insert, please email us at sales@bearvault.com.

Thank you for your patronage and for correctly using the BearVaults.

Happy hiking.
Jamie