[pct-l] Personal Information Security Advice

An addition to Item 1 of the "Attorney's Advice", which is great by the  way,
and some of which I do, but not all. For 15-20 years I've only had my
nickname and last name printed on checks, but sometime a store wants more info.  I
make the clerk write everything on the check; I (sorta) politely tell  them to
write the info on the check, by saying, "I'll show you my id, but you'll  have
to write the info down yourself; that way if my id is stolen I know who to
sue." It gets their attention, makes them think, and once got a supervisor
called. The latter incident was amusing, because I just repeated myself to the
supervisor, who told the clerk to go ahead and write it down, then said to me,
Good idea."

Bob "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen
(Naturalized Citizen, Republic of  Texas)