[pct-l] winter hiking question

Dano Heatwole wrote:

> Hey yall
> I am taking a 2-3 week trip in January (with a group from college) and
> want to do it on the PCT.  Is there any good place in southern CA that
> would not require all my friends to buy 4 season gear?  Anyone know the
> temps on the trial in January?

if you stay low, you should be fine- january is beautiful in the desert,
though it can get quite nippy at night. the problem is, if you're
looking to do a contiguous hike at the typical pct-hiker pace (15-20
miles/day), there aren't any 2-3 week stretches that stay consistently
at low altitude. the pct generally only dips low when it *has* to for
some reason, so most of the time you're up in some sort of mountain
range, most of which will probably have some sort of snow or at least
cold weather in january.

hope this helps!

girlscout