[pct-l] Section L,M Trip Comments

Section LM Trip Comments - based on 2001 data book

1. Sierra City - alternate route - we stayed on PCT and saw what I think is
one of the most beautiful water crossings on the PCT - the foot bridge over
the North Yuba River.

1218.9 Campsites - Nelson Creek flowing well here behind campsite on Aug 4

1220.2 West Branch Nelson Creek flowing well about 100 yds away down the
slope.

1225.9 unnamed lake - easy access trail from PCT to north end of lake

1225.6 Second saddle next to seasonal spring - spring was dry on Aug 5th.

1236.8 Black Rock Creek Road - spring is west on road on right side - go up
road past curve before crest of road. Small cairn marks spot. If you go past
you may hear dripping. Flow rate about a cup per min on Aug 6th. Had to use
cup to fill containers. Lots of yellowjackets. Got stung once.

Met section hikers Princess, Flatulent, Strider, Cowboy and Arsh in this
area - started from Echo Lake and hiking till Sept 8. Saw them again at a
road crossing with their personal trail angel and they shared soft drinks,
fresh water, smoothies and some extra Aqua Mira with us.

1245.0 Delicious spring - welcome might be a better word. Flowing, but
needed to use cup again to fill containers.

Met south bounder Highlander in this area, and Tom of Tom and Crystal about
an hour later.

1261.7 - final water supply a creeklet. Good flow on Aug 7th. Some smaller
creeklets earlier.

Before Bucks summit road found a hiker beer cache from Datto & Pearson - 9am
so too early for us, but appreciated seeing it.

Met Buckeye southbound to Kennedy Meadows

Little Tom went by our Clear Creek camp about 7pm heading for Beldon.

Aug 9 to Beldon. Hombre passed us northbound, trying to get to post office
before 1pm close. Saw Little Tom, Hombre & several other thru hikers when we
got to Beldon.

--
Ralph Alcorn
http://www.backpack45.com/camino2.html