[pct-l] health/travel insurance while hiking

I am a long time lurker here, my wife and I are planning to thru-hike
the PCT next year, and we are really getting excited about it.  But
one thing I am not excited about is the prospect of searching for
health insurance.  Especially since my wife had some, non serious,
"pre-existing" conditions (I hate that phrase!).  From what I
understand most individual insurance plans will not cover someone with
pre-existing conditions, even if the "conditions" are from years ago.

We are currently on a group plan with my employer; I will be resigning
next spring and thus be off our group insurance.  Going without
insurance is not an option for us.

Some questions for previous hikers who some type of insurance:

    - What did you do for insurance?

    - How much did it cost?

    - Were you covered equally in all CA, OR and WA?

     - Did you have "pre-existing" conditions?

I hope that no one turns this into a health insurance debate/flame war.

Thanks,

Aaron