[pct-l] skykomish info, stevens pass loop

Hi All,

I went out for a 75 mile loop out of Stevens pass that included the section of the PCT from Cathedral Pass north to the pass.  I didn't meet any thruhikers, as expected, but did run into a guy hiking a pint of Hagen-Daas in to David Horton, who was apparently a few hours south of me.  The PCT from Cathedral to Stevens is in very good shape, but be aware that water levels seem to be low.  The campsite 2 miles north of Cathedral, listed in the data book as something like "Junction of two streams" is bone dry and has been for some time, it seems.  The next water sources north seem to be the creek crossings that come down from Daniel.  The water source at the south end of Glacier lake, the first campsite near Glacier that you come to heading north is good and flowing, but for how long remains to be seen.  A (even for me) long winded trip report can be found at:

http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett/local/icicle.html

After I finished on Friday, I went through Skykomish to check things out.  There seems to be a new motel in town, or at least I don't remember it from 03.  Cross the railroad tracks and make a left.  Pass the bar on the left and spot the Cascadia Motel, about a 3 minute walk from the PO.  It seems to have odd hours, though. Any competition with the other motel will surely drop prices.  I checked out the gas station for resupply issues.  They have HEET.  Resupply is about as it was in 2003: The basics, not much else. Very doable and I wouldn't send a package here if you've been resupplying as you go so far.  The restaurant in town is, as was previously known, quite closed.

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett