[pct-l] Back injury exercises?

As luck would have it, I've sprained my back a month and a half away
from local hiking season. Seems the extreme physical exertion of
walking into my office yesterday morning was far too much for even a
seasoned cubicle warrior such as myself. One false move had me down
for the count.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest, once I recover well enough to
walk and stand (much less sit up without crying like a little girl),
simple exercises I can do to stretch and strengthen my stomach and
back.

My doctor has suggested a few small exercises, but I wanted to hear
from my backpacker community to see if there was any special insight
given the things we demand of our backs. I had hoped to go out and
take my very first solo backpacking trips this season, training for my
'07 thru. Now, I hope simply for a few scaled-down day-hikes hopefully
by Halloween...

This makes me wonder how a back injury is handled out on the trail.

Any suggestions would be most wonderful. Thanks!!

Steph