[pct-l] More Super Secrets of Backpacking -- #41 to #44

I know you have had withdraw symptoms from the List being down, so here is
your Super Secret fix.

#41 - Timing Your Hydration: One of the biggest challenges we have on the
trail is dehydrating. This is extremely important, but we too often lose track
drinking on a steady and regular basis. As you know, once you sense that you
are  thirsty, it is too late. You are already are or starting to dehydrated.
---  75% of the US population are chronically dehydrated
--- 37% of the US  population mistake thirst for hunger
We need a little help in this critical  area. Carry a simple Sunbeam
electronic timer (2.0 ounces) from the Walmart  kitchen section. Cut off the little
magnet and stand and put it in a shirt  pocket so you can hear the alarm every
30 minutes for a refreshing drink.   BEWARE: Do not put yourself into
hyponatremia ("water  intoxication)!!!!  This is where you drink too much water.  You
unbalance your body salt content and it can lead to death just like
dehydration  does with too little water.  I ALWAYS eat a peanutbutter cracker or salty
gorp with my 30-minute drink.  Keep your personal chemistry balanced.

#42 - Skin Protection: Proper protection of your skin from radiation is  very
important on the trail. You already know about SunPrecaution.com clothing
and the GoLite Chrome Dome umbrella (with Switchback?s World Famous Handsfree
Umbrella Holder). Get into the habit of applying each morning some sun screen
at  SPF 30 with aloe, vitamins, and cocoa butter. I recommend the REI Sun Block
30  (2.75 ounces) or the new Repel Lemon-Eucalyptus repellent (no Deet) --
proved  very effective in tests.

#43 - Mist Sprayer: This is a simple water  carrier with a pump. You can
modified it to sling over your shoulder and carry  on the side or put it one your
belly pack. You give it several pumps and then  turn the hose valve on and you
have a super fine mist of water covering your  face and neck. SUPER COOL. It
is unbelievable how cool this will make you feel  on a hot day either in the
desert or going across a snow field in summer. Under  2 pounds with sling and
almost full of water. If you use potable water, then it  is drinking water
backup.  I am currently using the COOL BLAST by Misty  Mate.

#44 - Pedometer: These handy little devices might be useful for giving you
your mileage or other indicators as you walk. This might be VERY USEFUL as you
walk to the next water source or trail town.  I am using the GoWalking
Talking Pedometer (1.25 ounces).  If you have used some type of pedometer,  let me
know what your experiences have been.  My local park has a .47 mile
rubberized walking track, so that is where I have calibrated the device.

Your 1.5 MPH hiking buddy and PCT Section Hiker (est. 1970),  Switchback