[pct-l] Tuolumne Meadows to Sonora Pass trail info

FWIW, I stopped by Toulumne Meadows and Sonora Pass last weekend.

On Sunday, at Toulumne Meadows, there was no snow in Toulumne Meadows itself.  I hiked about a mile south along the PCT.  As for the surrounding peaks and passes, snow was definitely visable.  The staff at the post office/store (PO was closed) had no info on PCT hikers, though they only opened last Thursday.

On Monday, at Sonora Pass, snow was everywhere.  The picnic area was snow free, but the driveway from 108 to the picnic area (about 100 feet) was blocked by a 50 ft snow drift that was about 2 feet high.  I hiked about half way up the ridge south of Sonora Pass, and the trail was nowhere in sight.  Last year on the North facing slope, I remember some small snow patches visible.  This year, there were small rock patches visable through the sea of snow.  The south facing section of trail north of Sonora Pass looked pretty clear of snow from what I could see.

I'm thinking that this year requires much route finding.  I'm glad I hiked last year.

hope this helps.
Rev. Gizmo
PCT '04

Lynn Nebus <hiknfun@cox.net> wrote:
Has anyone been hiking on the PCT between Tuolumne Meadows and Sonora
Pass in the last week or two? I've read the latest updates from
Yosemite, but am hoping for something more specific to the PCT. Any
referrals or info will be appreciated.

Lynn Nebus