To: "'yogi'" <yogihikes@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Mike Maurer's accident
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:25:12 -0700

Yogi  -

Perhaps you could please post this to the PCT-List.  Thanks.

Mike Maurer was in a severe motorcycle accident earlier this week.  He was riding with his son Jackson, and they were struck at high speed by a large car going against the traffic signal.  They were both knocked unconcious and Life-Flighted to San Diego.  Jackson sustained a clean break to one leg, and a deep cut on that leg (to the bone).  His leg is in a cast and we brought him home today (Thursday).  Mike was just moving out of ICU today.  He sustained multiple fractures, including compound, to his left leg, as well as a fracture to his spine (C6).  They have inserted two titanium rods into the leg bones.  Mike said he got the lightest rods they would give him, but the pain medication hampered his negotiation skills.  I told him I would try and find a way to make them "dual use" by making them removable at night to use as tent poles.  The spine fracture is expected to heal during the next 6 weeks he is wearing a neck brace.  As you can tell, his spirits are high, even through the
 medication they have him on.  He is hoping to be out in a few days, but won't be hiking anytime soon.  Your prayers and thoughts would be appreciated.

--Glen Van Peski