[pct-l] JMT in August - WAS Trail Condition in High Sierra

Alec wrote:

<<so we are clear that tuolumne is still rough going towards the end of
june.  does anyone in this community have any idea (obviously no one can
predict the future) what the status of the JMT will be in august?>>

My .02 - In '98, (similar, not identical snow year) we did some traveling in
about the second week of August  from the east side out of North Lake (near
Bishop Pass), over Lamarck Col  (at 12,960') to climb Mt. Darwin, then
returned cross-country over Alpine Col (12,320') to Piute Pass and out.
Lamark Col was free of snow.  Alpine Col was a trudge up through soft,
rotten snow in mid-day.  Several lakes in Darwin Canyon were just breaking
free of ice, and there were well-consolidated snowbanks to traverse along
the lakeshores (talk about a very COLD runout).  Instep crampons were a
godsend for those traverses along steepish snowslopes with short runouts
into ice water.    However - below 11,000 generally all was clear, not too
much mud (the terrain drains pretty well, except for meadows still traversed
by trails).

All this said, the late snow leads to a delayed spring, and you'll likely
see wildflowers in August you would normally see in June-July, combined with
early fall color in the aspens.  I'd go for it and book your flight.  With
respect to ice axe/crampons - make that decision in a month.  Insteps might
be very helpful in the major passes, even if there is a worn path through
the snow (which there will be by then).   The north side of Mather Pass
seems to be the place with the downhill excitement potential.  You will
likely get a multitude of opinions about hauling an ice axe and/or crampons,
but I think you'll have a great hike regardless.   If you don't already use
trekking poles, consider them.  And - I wouldn't entirely dismiss trail
running shoes instead of boots.  If hikers are getting through now with
trail runners, you should definitely be able to get by with them in August.
They're so much more comfortable in the long (ahem) run.

And read John Vonhof's book ... ;-)

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94

www.pcta.org
Join Now!

Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached its top.  Then
you will know how low it was.
                                                                     Dag
Hammarskjold