[pct-l] goats and nps land (was a boy and his dog...)

We do a lightweight approach also, but that also means we can carry some
extras that we need to accomodate our handicaps, such as a folding stool.

Goats can carry 35 pounds for 10-15 miles per day and still have plenty of
time to forage and not lose weight. We tend to only put about 20-25 pounds
on each goat, but that's a lot of stuff, when approached from a lightweight
perspective. One goat out of the 4 we take just carries a saddle and
basically gets rotated so no one is working very hard. And, with that we can
carry enough food to go for 2-3 weeks without restocking.

I have a friend who packs with donkeys and I like them but I just don't bond
with them like I do the goats. I teach horseback riding and so I like
getting away from horsey attitudes once in a while.

Carolyn Eddy
"Sweet Goat Mama"
www.goattracksmagazine.com