[pct-l] Crosscountry - Kings Canyon NP near Whitney

Just southwest of Mt. McAdie is a saddle with a  cross country pass  that is
fairly easy.  It takes you down to Crabtree Lakes, where you  eventually hit a
trail to Crabrtree Meadows.  The maps sometime label this  as Crabtree Pass,
but the old Climbers Guide calls it McAdie Pass.  You can  easily locate it on
the topo above Sky Blue Lake.  There is a fairly steep  chute, which, if you
stay to the north of, you can work your way down ledges  rather than slip and
slide.  I've done it both ways...

The Miter is a towering rock at the end of the ridge that separates Sky  Blue
Lake and Iridescent Lake.  I have gone cross country between the two  and
called that Miter Pass... but???   During a lull in a storm, I  found a perfect
arrowhead shining in the sun on this route.  Others liked  the route too.

The old PCT used to go through Siberian Outpost.  It is marvelously
beautiful.  Even though it looks barren, if you get down close to the  ground you will
find a fantastic "forest" of tiny plants, thriving where it  seems nothing
could.

There are a myriad trails north of Kennedy.  I recommend some  combination
that takes you through Beck Meadows, Monache Meadows, Strawberry and  Templeton
to Big Whitney and, hence, Siberian Pass.  At the landing strip  in Monache, I
once had hamburgers and beers...  you never know what magic  will happen.

If you're a fisherman... Big Whitney is a haven for the Golden Trout.

If you havn't spent much time in the Rock Creek Recesses ( also called the
Miter Basin) ... I highly suggest it... but don't tell anyone.  It's one of
the great undiscovereds of the Sierra.  If you go to Primrose Lake and  climb
Mt. Pickering... the whole south slope is littered with quartz  crystals.

Enjoy....
"No Way Ray"  Echols