[pct-l] Computers on the Trail

John wrote:

I've got a better idea. Forget that fancy  device to take with you.
Instead do a virtual thru-hike. You could have  computed generated images
of the trail and terrain, a computer controlled  treadmill adjusted to
the appropriate gradient to hike on, and as many or  few of the comforts
of home as you desired. Just imagine, virtually hike  20-30 miles on the
trail, then step off the treadmill and have all the  comforts of home
because you are really home. And no resupply  hassles.

Any takers? Any developers?
I think that is a great idea.   In fact you could take a copy of your virtual
hike with you on the trail to  review at night in the tent on your trail
computer for the next's day hike  section.  Everything would be familiar.  A
virtual zero day would be a  break to Claim Jumper restaurant and afterwards to the
Kona Grill for a  drink.  Not bad.  Or you could be a PCT
thru hiker or a Triple Crown hiker  and never leave home.  Cool.  Snow melt
would be no problem.  In  fact, I think doing the Triple Crown or a PCT
flip-flop in one hiking season  would be a piece of cake.  Neat.  All kinds of honors
and rewards from  the PCTA and ALDHA-West for your accomplishments.  Then you
could knock off  the American Discovery Trail.  Of course, stops at Hiker
Heaven South and  North would be included along with cashe breaks.  Yogi's book
would be  included with the software instructions.  Your arm-chair and
treadmill  hiker buddy, Switchback