[pct-l] Missing Hiker piece in the Press-Enterprise

yep, Cabazon is a hitch.  It's about 4 miles off-trail,
and can be hitched on busy Interstate 10 or the deserted
frontage road next to the interstate.

I never even considered a hitch gone wrong until someone
posted that idea a week or so ago.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

dsaufley@sprynet.com wrote:
How close is the Cabazon post office to the trail? Does it require a hitch? If he made it through the San Jacintos, that would have been his next resupply pick-up point. He never made it there. Hikers both ahead and behind of Mr. Donovan on the trail did not see him after the point he was last seen south of Saddle Junction, and there were quite a few off them. Also, numerous hikers reported getting lost in that area this year, following footprints in the snow of people that had also been lost. The snow conditions in the southern mountains were unlike any year anyone can remember.

We may never know what happened. Sgt. Meadows of the Riverside Sheriffs told me it's like finding a needle in a haystack in the San Jacinto area. He told me that the first day they began searching for John Donovan, they found the skull of a hiker who had been missing for a year and a half, who they'd done several major searches for. So, even though they looked and didn't find John, it doesn't mean he isn't out there.

He could have hitched and things gone wrong, but I believe the more likely scenario is that he got caught in the storm that came through at that time he was up there and things went terribly wrong in the mountains. His friends all attest that he was ill prepared for heavy weather. Shutterbug (a member of the search & rescue crew) said that when people get hypothermic, they do bizarre things and can head in any direction. I believe he's just somewhere the searchers haven't looked yet, and it's just too big and often steep an area to cover every inch of it.

L-Rod