[pct-l] Computers on the Trail

Switchback wrote:
>>I would bet money that John Muir, Norman Clyde, Snowshoe Thompson, Coby,
King, Walker, Smith, and all the mountaineers/mountainmen would carry one if
it had been available in their day.  I am absoultely certain of this. <<

...especially the ones who climbed the "wrong" mountain only realizing it
when, on reaching the top, they saw their target peak on the next ridge
over.  This happened at least for Mt. Williamson in the Palisades (they
climbed Mt. Disappointment instead, thus the name); seems to me there was a
similar problem in ascending Whitney.  The "they" in the first instance, I
think, if memory serves, etc, etc, was a party including Clarence King,
affiliated with the Whitney survey group.   I invite all corrections of any
misstatements!!!!!

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94

www.pcta.org
Join Now!

Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached its top.  Then
you will know how low it was.
                                                                     Dag
Hammarskjold