[pct-l] Computers on the Trail

I never kid around about my toys.  Ha, ha, ha.  I would carry such a device and I bet John Muir would too.  I would bet money that John Muir, Norman Clyde, Snowshoe Thompson, Coby, King, Walker, Smith, and all the mountaineers/mountainmen would carry one if it had been available in their day.  I am absoultely certain of this.  Your hiking buddy, Switchback

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry Norton <terry.norton@gmail.com>
To: hiker97@aol.com <hiker97@aol.com>; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Sent: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:01:56 -0600
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Computers on the Trail

LOL...I hope this is in jest!  Please don't bring such a device near
me on the trail.

I am curious, would you rely on such a contraption given the rather
fragile nature of such integrated technology?  "Cannot get lost" ---
HA HA HA!!! I have seen GPS goof several times in the mountains.

A map & compass only need the earth's magnetic field and enough light
to see landmarks.  (Ok, mountains with a high iron content can cause a
few problems.)  Given that one should carry these items as a backup,
why not use them as a primary method of navigation.

cheers,
terry
(an electronics engineer that designs really cool small gadgets who
prefers to leave them at home)

On 6/21/05, hiker97@aol.com <hiker97@aol.com> wrote:
> I was thinking there should be a GPS and PCT map program that works together,
so I know in color where I am at anytime on the trail.  Cannot get lost.  Also,
I should be able to hook it up to a solar recharger unit as I walk.  Also, I
want to do my journal and down load pictures from my camera on the device too.
Then when I get home I want to transfer everything to my laptop.  I would think
a color, relief-shaded PCT map should be on a memory stick.  Hey, why don't you
throw in a wireless phone, MP3, AM/FM radio, and Internet connection too.  And
some fun games (hiking questions, survival questions, nature questions, PCT
trail history questions, etc.) on it for time killers at night in the tent would
be nice.  Under 12 ounces too.