[pct-l] Re: caches at Kelso V. Rd. and Bird Spring Pass

David wrote...

---
Although it is very unwise to stake one's life or
health on the kindness of strangers, in this unique
case, given these locations, it's very very
hard not to rely on one or both of these. It appears
that these sources are about as close to a dead-solid
lock as possible. Mr. Barcik said they've "been run
pretty low but never totally dry" in all the
restocking trips they've made this year.
---

Before I end up being misunderstood, I'll make my
point here.  Thanks (!!) to the Baricks for caching
the water.  However, if the cache happens to be dry,
hikers should avail themselves of the alternate water
sources in the area.  Hikers should always be prepared
to make do without a cache.

I'm concerned that the original posting sends a bit of
a mixed message.  "don't rely on caches, but this is
one you can rely on.  Moreover, you have to rely on
it."

There are a number of ways to not have to rely on it.
A mile from Kelso is the spring that is generally a
cattle watering hole.  Well beyond is Yellowjacket
Springs (again, off trail, but in this case a great
water source).  So, yeah, if a hiker is dead-set
against leaving the trail to hydrate, it's probably
impossible to hike without depending on these caches.

As for these caches never running dry, my hat is off
to the Baricks for keeping them stocked this year.
Three years ago, numerous hikers were surprised to
find both caches completely drained.  However, the
solution in such a situation is straightforward.  Stop
hiking if it's hot, take shelter from the sun.
Conserve water.  Hike slowly, take rests, don't
overheat.  Use the cow spring (and whatever
purification strategy you choose), make the extra hike
to Yellowjacket).

Finding these caches dry was inconvenient, annoying,
but not maddening -- the trail angels are not under an
obligation to provide this labor and water (as an
aside, however, my issue was that it was posted that
these caches would be regularly maintained, and in '02
they were bone dry for about a week).  The guidebook
shows you where to get water.

Iron Chef

Yahoo! Mail