[pct-l] Re: pct-l Digest, Vol 26, Issue 31

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:14:00 -0400
> From: Gary Wright <at2002@mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Pack Size
> To: Andrew P.Brown <BROWNANP@student.gvsu.edu>
> Cc: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>

> On Jun 19, 2005, at 11:00 PM, Andrew P. Brown wrote:
>> I'll be heading out on the PCT in 2006.  I was wondering what type
>> and size pack most PCT hikers find to be adequate.  I am looking at
>> either the Granite Gear Ozone(3800 cu.in.) or Osprey Aether 60
>> (3900cu.in.).  Any recommendations?  Thanks.
>
> I strongly suggest you purchase/collect/barter/steal all your gear
> *except* your
> pack.  Once you've done this bring, it all down to your local
> outfitter and start
> filling packs until you find one that holds all your gear and fits
> comfortably.
> This is the best way to figure out which pack is best for you and
> your gear as
> opposed to me and my gear!
>
> That being said...

Hey Andrew,
Ditto Gary's comment, and if the staff gives you grief for doing so, or
even looks at you weird, you're in the wrong store (unless the price is
Very attractive!).
On my pack-selection safari, the sales staff said, "Cool!" when I
walked in with an old duffle bag full of gear. I just picked a day and
time when they weren't busy. They were very helpful fitting it to me,
such as adding sandbags they had in the drawer to simulate weight of
expendables. Expect to spend an hour or two doing this process. Mine
feels like it was poured onto my back, with no pressure points at all
and no sideways slop either. Properly packed, all I feel is the weight
really. My balance is hardly affected at all, and I can probably haul a
heaver load 25% further than my old 70's external frame that was maybe
a pound lighter and slightly bigger, but sat further from my center of
balance.

If you can borrow or return/exchange it later, do trail-test said rig
before the point of no return with a very critical eye to how it feels,
handles, packs. Like picking a pair of shoes, it should feel like its
made for you, and if you have any doubts at all, keep looking until you
feel you've checked out all your options. You and your pack will be
siamese twins for five months after all.

Mo Jo