[pct-l] Southern California: Adventure Pass Partial Freedom?

	As a result of the Recreational Lands Enhancement Act (REA),
the Angeles NF recently announced that 75% of its area will not
require an Adventure Pass for use.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/news/2005/news-2005-06-14-anf-recreation-fee-announcement.shtml

	There are similar announcements on other Southern California
National Forest Web sites along the PCT:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/passes/rea.shtml
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/passes/recfees.shtml

	The Adventure Pass (or equivaqlent, such as a Golden Eagle
pass) will still be required in areas of the forest that are heavily
used ("High Impact Recreation Areas") and/or have some sort of
developed parking areas ("Designated Sites"):

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/hiras.shtml
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/ap/rec-fee-sites.shtml

	I am having trouble interpreting the online maps, and I am
tempted to summarize by saying that the Adventure Pass has been phased
out in areas that don't have paved roads :-).

	Free days will remain in 2005, but are likely to be canceled
in 2006.

	Under the new Federal legislation, additional fees may be
imposed for certain uses of the Forest.  The Cleveland NF's Web site
specifically mentions that fees might be charged for Wilderness
Permits in the future under this program.

					Craig "Computer" Rogers