From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Linda Bakkar
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 8:49 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] birds on the PCT

Birdman said:

>Anyone else have a similar experience to a bird call or have a favorite
>bird along the PCT?

Some of our PCT-list group have mentioned the Swainson's Thrush, the Hermit
Thrush, Canyon Wrens, and Meadowlarks.  I recognize the song of the
Swainson's Thrush, but there is a bird that I have only heard in the high
country, and I don't know what it is.  I wonder if it is the Hermit Thrush,
but I thought I heard it's song on a tape once, and it did not match.

The bird I hear in the high country has a clear, melodious sound, with
varied pitches.  It starts with a long note, then a step up, then quickly
down two steps.   (The ascending note, followed by the two descending notes
are evenly sung -- all quick.)  It repeats this sequence in different
pitches with each little song.  I don't know why it affects me so
deeply...straight to my heart.

Lindy
North of Seattle