[pct-l] garcia vs. lexan bear cannisters

Oh contrair good friend. Seqouia and Kings Canyon, as well as Yosemite in
California have approved the Garcia Canisters, the Bearikades, the
Bearvaults(Lexan) with 1 piece lid, and Bear Kegs. This is directly off the
NPS/Inyo NF website.
http://www.nps.gov/seki/snrm/wildlife/wildlife_data/container.pdf
I have used a Bearvault with no incident so far. I did talk to a JMT hiker
on the trail last summer who had a bear get into his first generation
Bearvault, though designs have changed since then. This year's models are
conditionally approved until they survive the summer. The second generation
BV200s are fully approved by SIBG. None are truly impenatrable, I have heard
stories of Yosemite bears popping lids off Garcia's, but thats a 1 in a
million type thing. Always some possibility of failure.
http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/approvedcontainers.htm

And your second email regarding the high sierras, everything will be
"passable". It just depends on how comfortable you are traveling over snow.
Come end of July crampons can probably be set aside for all but the highest
peaks and most sheltered couliers.
Eric J Lee