[pct-l] Re: Swainson's Thrush

Of course, Birdman! All hikers must. In fact, many hikers must be
birders, artists,
poets (especially short nature poems), essayists, musicians,
photographers, and botanists.
I think folks just want to keep a low profile, and also stay "on topic".
But I found your post deeeelightful! Who better to give bird or flower
reports than from hikers?
It would be nice to read them on this list as "by-the-ways" - that way
the posts are
still on topic. I'm a short-distance hiker, but there are so many
warbling, trilling,
whistling, slurring songbirds. A Hawk's cry sounds unbelievable too,
especially when the
wind pauses in contrast. Lazuli Buntings summer in Jackson Gap on Mt
Ashland, and Hermit Warblers (bright yellow head) at Lake of the Woods
in the conifer forest - both of them
are great singers and about 2" smaller than your "little" Swainson's
Thush. Canyon Wrens (located in spiritual - don't mean religious -
places, Good Sigh *s*) and Meadowlarks are two of my favorite singers in
the Pacific Northwest.

You might want to join Oregon Birders Online (OBOL) (or in CA). It has a
lot of fun posts. Be aware that it's an active list as well.
 -AF