[pct-l] Caches--good, bad and ugly

I've used caches only twice - both times in places where resupply options
were distant. Both were successful and not disturbed by critters.

The first cache was beside the parking lot of the picnic area at Sonora
Pass. Three of us used water-tight plastic boxes buried in the ground and
covered with logs. Even with GPS coordinates, let's just we had an
interesting time finding the cache again.

The second cache was beside the trail at Etna Summit. Again, I simply buried
a doubled trash compactor bag at the base of a tree along a side trail. No
problems finding this one. Lesson learned above.

That said, I'd second the comment that caches are not the way to go on any
routine basis. I got lucky and nothing (almost including me) found either of
mine. I would resort to them again in the future ONLY where it would be
difficult or time-consuming trying to reach an off-trail resupply point.
Unless I had no other choice, I would not use one someplace where there was
NO other re-supply option available. If Yogi or Booboo find it first, or if
even you can't find it yourself (all those darn trees look alike out here)
you could go a long time hungry until your next supply point. If you leave
it visible or otherwise visibly marked (trail tape, sign, etc) there is
always the remote possibility that someone else - certainly not a LD hiker -
might eat at your table. Always leave yourself an out.

Oh - and don't let the rangers see you heading up the trail with a shovel
and a plastic pail. They don't like people digging holes in their National
Park grounds. They might even give you their autograph on an expensive piece
of paper and escort you to the entrance.

As far as a 100 mile trek goes, that's only 4-5 days - 6 tops - on the
trail. On the last, you arrive at the 100 mile point out of food and ready
to kill the first restaurant you see once you retrieve your car.

Wandering Bob