[pct-l] mountaineering training

This year I was NOT surprised at the eagarness to learn mountaineering skills.  I was at the base of San Jack with four others who had ice axes BUT had never even read how to use one.  By the time we had gotten to Welsmans divide they were practictivally begging me to teach them what I know.  I went through a 5 minute verbal lesson and we had to all learn our new skills very quickly as we ascended SAN Jack and then attatcked Fuller Ridge.  It would have been nice for them to have had some real practice before literally jumping off a clifff.

shutterbugg
Greg Ray <gregray8@yahoo.com> wrote:
<asked at Day Zero this year. My mountaineering buddy and I were aware
that the type of question meant that the questioner had no experience.

I've asked professional guide, Kurt Wedberg (Everest 95), who owns Sierra
Mountaineering International, whether he could put together one of his
patented snow travel classes, which teaches exactly what you want, for
next year. He is interested in doing that. Perhaps it could be done just
before the kick-off, at San Jacinto.

Or, you could go up to where he teaches all winter, out of Bishop.

www.sierramountaineering.com

He teaches a lot of mountaineering/avalanche skills for the Sierra Club,
in SoCal.

Wow! Thanks to all for the very helpful responses on this request for info.

I always hoped that my total ignorance on a subject would pat dividends some day. :-) :-)

Seriously though, if you would keep us all updated on this Ken, I imagine that myself and others would appreciate it. I'll check out the site, along with the others which have been suggested. It would be great to learn the right way, and from the right source.
Greg