[pct-l] Caches--good, bad and ugly

Speaking of caches, I am thinking of burying a food cache for my section
hike this year between Stevens Pass and Stehekin. As many of your know, the
detour around Glacier Peak includes two road crossings. Since I live in
Seattle, I can drive up there ahead of time to cache some food.

I'm considering two options:

1. Buy an Backpacker's Cache canister. Fill it with non-perishable food and
bury it at the road crossing. After digging it up, carry the canister the
rest of the trip.

2. Put the food in a very sturdy cardboard box and bury it. I would burn the
box after digging it up.

Has anyone else used caches successfully? Has anyone had a critter dig up
their food cache? It is too much of a risk to depend on a food cache in the
middle of a 100-mile trip?

Tom Griffin
Seattle
PCT pages: http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/pct.html