[pct-l] Re: Bear Cans in North Cascades

Howdy Geoffrey!

Having had several bear and other critter encounters, I have adopted the policy of NEVER sleeping with my food.  It never goes into my tent/tarp, no matter what part of the country I am hiking in.  (Mt. McKinley, Alaska is my only exception.  Not too many critters to watch out for at 17000 feet and at -30 degrees!)  Even in non-bear country, other critters know about human food.  Ever have a gang of raccoons get into your tent?  You won't know it until they are allready inside!  Not to mention mice and other rodents.

I have adopted the policy of always carrying a bear cannister.  I use one of the Bearikade Weekender models.  Yes, they are a little pricey, but the peace of mind that I get from storing my food (and trash) is worth it.  The weight of this model is not too bad, either.  The Bearikade is also the litest of the models available, that has been approved for use in all National Parks.  (There is a clear plastic model that is lighter, but has not received NPS approval yet, to the best of my knowledge.  Please correct me if I am wrong.)  The Bearikade lets me store anything with a food odor safely, fits comfortably in my pack, and lets me roam anywhere I want too, with the knowledge that I will still have food tomorrow, and that I am following all rules and regulations.

Oh yeah, it also makes a darn nice chair when the ground is wet!  And the Park Service takes their bear-cannister rule very seriously.  Plan on adding several hundred dollars to the cost of your trip if you get a citation!

Cheers!

Jim McCrain