[pct-l] Conditions to the North and South of Ashland

Well,
poor planning aside I'd like to give a little update
from the Ashland Ranger Station.  Garbage Man and
Undertoe have prematurely skipped up to ashland to try
and figure out a way to stay out of some of the snow.
Mt. Ashland still has quite a bit of snow above 6000
feet. No one that they know of has been on the  PCT in
this section.  In the trinity divide there is 12- 15
miles of solid snow on the trail.  The ranger did not
suggest hiking this section.  The first 25 miles north
of soda creek are opening up but they suggested giving
it a couple of weeks.  The first 20 miles north of
Ashland are open but after Baldy? (the first large
mountain northof ashland)mountain the trail is closed.
I am not sure what the ranger meant by closed but i am
assuming that means no one has been up there.  She
explained that the winter season was lower than normal
for the Cascades but a late snow has made up the
difference.  The Siskiyous have plenty of snow above
6000 feet on north facing and even some south facing
slopes.  Just wanted to relate this info.  any
suggestions or anyone hear anything different?  Stuck
in Ashland
Garbage Man and Undertoe

Discover Yahoo!