[pct-l] getting to the coast

Flight service is also offered to Crescent City.  Flight information can be found at:

http://www.oregoncoast.net/air.html

From: arrecifes4 at yahoo.com (M.Kathleen Hurley)
Date: Thu Jun  9 13:55:33 2005
Subject: [pct-l] Steven's Pass to Snoqualmie trail conditions

Hello all-

I just returned from hiking southbound on the PCT from Steven's Pass to Snoqualmie.  My friends are thru-hiking and began in Manning on May 25th.  They report a lot of snow work in the whole stretch.  The snow for them was soft and they post-holed a lot.  They report evidence of avalanche releases, but they did not set any off.  They also reported the most snow encountered was at Cutthroat Pass.  They did the equestrian re-route due to weather conditions and a fog-out over High Pass.

The Dinsmore's in Skykomish are ready for hikers!

The three of us started at the pass (Steven's) which did not have any snow. Around 4500-5000' we encountered our first snow patches.  From there to the second Surprise Lake trail junction there were many snow patches, all easily navigable.  There was one spot we had to look a bit for the trail, but found it.  After the 2nd Surprise Lake junction, the trail was relatively snow-free until reaching the basin before the Pieper Pass ascent.  This basin is full of soft snow at least 3-4' deep.  The switchbacks are visible on the approach to the trail, but you quickly lose sight of them as you approach.  So, keep in mind where they are.  We hiked up the first set of switchbacks which were covered with patchy snow.  We got to the top of those only to completely lose the trail as it was covered in snow at least 5-6' deep.   With the aid of footsteps from someone who came over northbound and our familiarity with the area (we had all hiked this section at least once or twice before) we were
 able to find our way over to the other side. Pieper Pass is the highest point in this section, so we expected patches of snow for the rest of the way.  Also, it snowed at least 2" Tuesday night at 5500'!

My friends are very experienced in snow travel and navigation, so if hikers are not comfortable with this, I recommend waiting a bit longer to do this section.  If the snow is formidable, hikers can take the Deception Creek trail in 9.1 miles to the PCT, thus bypassing Pieper Pass and continuing south to Snoqualmie.

Good luck to all hikers out there.

Juniper '04

Discover Yahoo!