[pct-l] Sandals

Never.   I even have some of the skinniest legs and ankles of anyone I
saw and my pack wasn't one of the lighter ones around (I had to carry
a lot of food).  I didn't use hiking poles except for a few hours to
try some out and an early experimentation with yucca sticks that soon
got left behind.  And although I was in good condition when I started
I didn't do any pack training before I started.

I also didn't have any problems with my feet drying out but I always
wore socks while hiking.   As for stuff getting in under my feet, I
can count on one hand the number of times I had to take a sandal off
to get something (a small pebble, a stick) out of there.   I took
goretex socks for hiking in the snow but they didn't hold up and soon
I was just hiking using the wool socks.  My feet stayed warm.

All the reasons I heard why people didn't use sandals didn't apply to
me.  I can see why someone who insists on boots wouldn't want to wear
them, but if one is wearing running shoes why not just lose all the
extra toe blister causing material and wear something you can hike in,
lounge around camp in, and cross streams in?

Jeff