[pct-l] mountaineering skills

To truly learn winter Mountaineering skills I would recommend heading North
a bit. Best instructional groups I know of are Sierra Mountain Center out of
Bishop, American Alpine Institue, and Sierra Wilderness Seminars out of
Shasta. All of them have websites you can peruze, with info on their
classes. They are no longer run snow travel classes, since it is June and
USUALLY there isn't a this much snow.  I definately recommend getting up to
the big mountains(Sierras) for this training, because the amount you will
learn and beable to see will be much greater than anything a class room or
socal mts can offer. Also picking up a copy of "Freedom of the Hills" is a
great way to help yourself become familiar with Mountaineering practices,
though doesn't replace the class. Happy hiking.
Eric J Lee, San Diego