[pct-l] mountaineering skills

Forgive the newbie post...
I'm new to the list, and have been following the threads with interest.

Living in the low desert east of Campo, my current experience is hiking and camping in a hot arid environment or at altitudes of less than 6,000 feet.

I'm planning to break into section hiking in the climate I know best.(sections A, parts of B and C) As time goes by, I'd like to develop the necessary skills to properly use such foreign implements as crampons and ice axes as well as other mountaineering skills. I may not *need* them immediately, but in a year or two I'd like to go a bit further north, and would like to have a skill level to match my ambition.;-)

 Now, finally the question... are there places in sunny So Cal where one can get professional mountaineering field instruction?

I know quite enough about desert survival, but snow, ice, and high altitude???
It might as well be the moon to me.
Greg