[pct-l] neo-flop strategy?

Nice thought, but there is NO public transportation available between I-80
(Donner Pass) and Burney. Your only way in or out of Sierra City, Belden,
and old Station is to hitch. this can be difficult. Trail angels at Donner
Pass can probably get you into Truckee for transport, otherwise South Lake
Tahoe is your stopping point.

You can catch a local bus twice a day between Redding and Burney. That still
leaves you a 9 mile hitch over to Burney Falls State Park and the PCT
trailhead there.

As of 2002:
BURNEY FALLS STATE PARK: at the south end of section O.

No public transportation. However, if you walk or hitch into Burney Falls,
there is daily local bus service twice a day (6 days a week   $3 one way) at
the Holiday Market on the east end of Burney right next to McDonalds to and
from Redding. It stops in Redding at the Regional Transit Center, 3 blocks
west of the Greyhound station at Pine and Butte. There are 3-4 motels a
block or two north of the Greyhound station.

Leave Redding 1030 am   arrive Burney at noon

Leave Redding  5:45 pm    arrive Burney at 7:00 pm

Leave Burney at 6 am        arrive Redding at 7:30 am

Leave Burney at noon        arrive Redding at 1:30 pm

OLD STATION (Hat Creek Resort):

No transportation. The PO is open 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. The store is open 8
am - 9 pm but closed Wednesdays. The motel is right behind the post office.

BELDEN:  No transportation. Greyhound discontinued their route along the
Feather river Hwy, but the flag stop signs are still on the Belden bridge.

SIERRA CITY:   No public transportation there.

ECHO LAKE RESORT:  No public transportation, although it should be an easy
hitch-hike into South Lake Tahoe. A cab is possible. Retrieve the names of
hotels off the signboard at the resort. Reportedly, some will provide free
transportation if you stay at their hotel; otherwise there is a fee. It
beats walking along busy hwy 50!  The store closes on Labor Day and the tiny
PO has limited hours.

Wandering Bob