[pct-l] Re: Attitudes and Tone on the PCT-L

At 10:16 AM 6/8/05, Jeffrey Jackson wrote:
>I had not posted a lot, and quit posting entirely after some off-topic,
>offensive political crap was posted, I emailed the list administrator to
>see what he thought of it, got no response, and the off-topic political
>crap continued. It slowed down after the election.  I still lurk some -
>not as much -  but will not post again unless and until the list owner
>makes some commitment to keep it on topic.

I've been doing this a long time. In January, PCT-L turns 10 years old.

Long ago, I used to actively participate much more on the list. Over the
years I've discovered that things work better if keep my meddling paws off.
Through my subscription to former Appalachian Trail mailing list, ATML and
my observation of its micro-managing Administrator, I learned that lists
works better when most situations are handled by the list members
themselves, not by the Administrator.

That doesn't mean that I don't try to reign in some threads, nor that I
haven't sent off-list requests to subscribers asking for restraint, nor
that I haven't booted subscribers. It just means that I am reluctant to do
so, unless things are really getting out of hand. Everything works better
that way.

If you are offended by some posts, or think that some threads get off
topic, I'm sorry. You know where the delete key is, and you should also
know how to use your mail program's filters to avoid particularly offensive
repeat posters. I can almost guarantee that some subscribers actually like
getting the posts that you find offensive; I am not going to censor them
just to keep you from being offended. Sorry.

If you have posted, and feel like you have been attacked, then sorry again.

You also need to remember that this is the INTERNET, it is not the real
world. Things don't work the same way here. If you feel the need to be
protected from the big bad internet, then I suggest a moderated AOL group.
I already spend plenty of time keeping V!agr@ ads and pr0n out of your list
mailbox.

All things considered, PCT-L is a pretty friendly place compared to the
rest of the net. If you are still angry that things here are not as you
would like them to be, and you have broadband, I suggest you have a look at
this short video from the series "Red vs Blue" called "real life vs the
internet." I hope you laugh as much as I do; Especially at the "discussing
politics" section. It reminds me of some of this list sometimes.

http://gprime.net/video.php/reallifevsinternet

As always, Hike your own hike.

--
Brick Robbins