[pct-l] Sandals

I wasn't involved in that discussion but I hiked the whole PCT last
summer using nothing but Chaco Terrenos.  At Old Station I sent them
in for a retread and used a temporary pair until I got them back.
When I got them back  I mailed the temporary pair home and continued
using the original pair.  By the time I got to Northern Washington the
rear straps were coming out of the footbed and I was using pieces of
my bear rope for field repairs.

If go with the retread option I would seriously consider getting the
sandal straps replaced when you get the retreads.

Another bad thing was that I got 2 blisters (1 on each foot)  where
the little hard plastic things that connect the webbing on the rear
outside of the sandal rubbed against my foot.  But, I never got any
other blisters (never a toe blister on the whole PCT!) and the those
two I did healed someplace in Southern California.

If I were hiking the PCT again I would use the same sandal but I would
just pay more attention to the straps and get them repaired when I had
a chance.

BTW, before I decided on the Chacos, I mail-ordered a pair of Bite
"Hiking" Sandals.  Yeah, they had the toe guard but as soon as I put
them on I knew they weren't for me.  They have too much stuff
(leather, plastic) on top.  It seemed like more of a shoe than a
sandal.  I think I would have had blisters on the top of my foot if I
used them.

Jeff