[pct-l] RE: instep crampons

Joanne "Goforth" wrote:
If you are going to use instep crampons, be very careful to test them first
with the foot wear that you will use and on a snow slope similar to the one
that you will want to traverse.

You might put them on, get on the snow slope and walk along the edge and
come back...worse than not having crampons, is having them and using them to
get part
way across a icey slope and having them come off. ... Never step onto an
icey slope with loose crampons.
I completely concur with Joanne's instep crampon comments, particularly
about making sure that they are compatible with the selected footwear and
testing them on a similar snowslope (or even a steep grassy slope, perhaps,
to see how much the "tug" factor affects their fit).

This said, at my suggestion earlier this season, "French Bob" (Cyrille
Soulas), used insteps successfully in the San Jacintos with his low-top
trail shoes, telling me that they saved his a** .  He previously did not
have much experience in snow travel, and learned by doing.

FWIW, Joanne has CONSIDERABLE mountaineering and backpacking experience, and
her cautionary comments are extremely valuable.  What's important here is
that all the comments pro and con crampons, instep crampons, etc, are read,
considered, and one's own experience and abilities are taken into account.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94